The Ultimate Soap Rant Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

the new rant site http://excoboard.com/ultimatesoaprant

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
http://excoboard.com/ultimatesoaprant This is the link to the new board. Please join us there. The computer will activate you, as soon as it veryifys that you are from this site. Hope to see all of you there. I am leaving this board open till the end of the week, and I will also leave this message up so everyone can find us.

Weigh in on the Ken Coraday Inteview

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
itsjustasoap
Admin
itsjustasoap

Weigh in on the Ken Coraday Inteview Empty
PostSubject: Weigh in on the Ken Coraday Inteview   Weigh in on the Ken Coraday Inteview EmptyTue Jun 08, 2010 7:41 pm

http://boards.nbc.com/nbc/index.php?showtopic=843591

http://www.soapoperanetwork.com/soaps/days...corday-part-one

(SoapOperaNetwork.com) -- On Tuesday, May 25, Soap Opera Network sat down with "Days of our Lives" Executive Producer Ken Corday at the NBC Experience Store in New York City in conjunction with his book signing for his latest release, "The Days of our Lives: The True Story of One Family's Dream and the Untold History of 'Days of our Lives.'"

"The book is about the story of my family before the show went on the air in 1965, because my mother and father's story was fascinating to me," said Corday. "They met in New York, during the depression, and had a background in theater, then radio and then television before my dad sold 'DAYS' to NBC in 1965 and we moved from New York to Los Angeles."

What made you write the book? Why now?
Originally the book was written because my children never got to know my mother and father. So it was a biography about them. As I wrote the book towards the end of my mother and father's life, it became about the story of the show. So I kept writing and kept writing right up through today. Then I went back, because writing is re-writing, during a down period. For the reader it is about how did our family's life and the shows life crossover? What parallels were drawn between the two? What happened in our lives that we used on the show? What happened on the show that strangely enough was reflecting our lives? For me it was just a wonderful experience. It was kind of like a love letter to the viewer. In broad view, that was what it was about. There are chapters about the heroes, chapters about the heroines, and then of course throughout all that is my biography and the history of the show.

Photo: Source Books
What makes the book different from being your basic historical timeline of the shows history?
There were things in the book you would never know about the show even from talking to some of the cast members. There is one chapter called Behind the Scenes, which is not a tell all, but more instances that have happened that defy gravity and description, some of them spiritual, some of them just outlandish, and it happened behind the scenes. I think that the reader would find some of those things fascinating.

'Days of our Lives' has been able to beat the odds and stay on the air despite obstacles getting in the way. What have you been able to do differently in order to keep the show on the air?
What we're dealing with today is a shrinking market for network television and we've had to in a way re-invite the wheel without really changing the look of the show. It started with NBC saying, 'we will pick up the show, but you're going to have to operate at 40% less cost.' I said to them, 'I don't know how I'm going to do that.' While thinking it over with the head writers, we said 'ok, we have to present the same interesting and entertaining show, we just can't use as many cast members.' We do a set number of shows per week now, when we used to do one every day. In that way, we are able to take 10 weeks of the year off. This means that we are not being charged for the studio cost. It was just a way of reshaping things, which I like to call 'turning the hour glass over again.' Amazingly, and to the network's surprise, the show grew 10% in ratings from the previous year, which NBC can't say about any of their other shows between 2008 and 2009 [Corday laughs].

On November 8, 'DAYS' will celebrate its 45th Anniversary. Does the renewal make things that much more special?
It is more special because we didn't know until about 6 months ago whether we were going to celebrate a 45th anniversary. For the show, its performance is based on ratings as well as the target audience. And 'DAYS' has performed so well that NBC has renewed us through September 2011.

What has kept the show on the air as long as it has been? How does it stand out from the rest?
You have to give the viewer what the viewer wants to see. You just can't put people on the show with all new faces. I know in the months to come a lot of familiar faces will be coming back to the show as our matriarch, Alice Horton [Frances Reid], passed away. For a period of two weeks, we really dealt with it in an organic manner. By bringing back familiar faces from the past, and keying that off with you know 'here is one actor or another whose characters are still viable,' it wasn't a question, why not re-introduce them? That really is our secret - the wheel is not broken. I think that will be the formula for future success of the show. It is also really about romance - by keeping [couples] apart for as long as possible, but without turning off the audience. We will always have couples breaking up, while always giving the audience 'Hope,' which I could use in two different ways [Corday chuckles], that the couple will get back together.

Speaking of couples, I started watching 'DAYS' in the mid-1990's and my favorite character is Sami Brady [Corday interjects and says 'me too!']. From her days trying to get Austin, while finding love with Lucas, to getting with EJ, to her drama with Rafe and now she's toying around with EJ again. Is that the type of storylines you are referring to when it comes to couples?
Yes, that is what I was referring to. I truly believe the viewers want Sami and Rafe together. You know, Sami can be her own worst enemy and this time she's not doing it in a vindictive way. She's just being pulled in by this not so nice guy [EJ]. That will come to a conclusion sometime right after Labor Day. I think viewers will be very happy to see Sami being the strong Sami, who is taking things into her own hands. I wish I could tell you the plot points, but I can't! I can say you can expect a lot of surprises and viewers will get what they want, which is Sami and Rafe back together again.

Back to the book. How long did it take you to write?
About three years, believe it or not. The first draft was a set number of pages, so after writing and re-writing, it was a matter of tearing things down. You have to keep it on track for the reader. There were parts that were more personal, that had nothing to do with the show, that were pulled out. and then I was going through the steps of finding the right publisher to publish the book. Strangely enough, Source Books, which is based in Chicago, and is the publisher of the book, I found that it was the perfect fit with them. They made an overall deal for three years with us, not just for this book, but a coffee table book in November, and others to follow. Coincidentally, there was the creator of 'Days of our Lives' along with my father, Irna Phillips, who also created 'As The World Turns,' 'Guiding Light' and 'Another World,' who was from Chicago. She never left Chicago, so here we are 45-years later coming full circle.

What kind of books can readers expect through your deal with Source Books?
There will be three of what I like to call extended romance novels, about couples that aren't on the show now. For instance, Patch and Kayla, John and Marlena and Jack and Jennifer. Some of that may change [Corday hints] if one or two of those characters returns.
Back to top Go down
http://ultimatesoaprant.niceboard.biz
ambrosia

PostSubject: Re: Weigh in on the Ken Coraday Inteview   Weigh in on the Ken Coraday Inteview EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 7:52 am

Speaking of couples, I started watching 'DAYS' in the mid-1990's and my favorite character is Sami Brady [Corday interjects and says 'me too!']. From her days trying to get Austin, while finding love with Lucas, to getting with EJ, to her drama with Rafe and now she's toying around with EJ again. Is that the type of storylines you are referring to when it comes to couples?

Yes, that is what I was referring to. I truly believe the viewers want Sami and Rafe together. You know, Sami can be her own worst enemy and this time she's not doing it in a vindictive way. She's just being pulled in by this not so nice guy [EJ]. That will come to a conclusion sometime right after Labor Day. I think viewers will be very happy to see Sami being the strong Sami, who is taking things into her own hands. I wish I could tell you the plot points, but I can't! I can say you can expect a lot of surprises and viewers will get what they want, which is Sami and Rafe back together again.

The last part of this paragraph has been edited to read:

Yes, that is what I was referring to. I truly believe the viewers want Sami and Rafe together. You know, Sami can be her own worst enemy and
this time she's not doing it in a vindictive way. She's just being pulled in by this not so nice guy [EJ]. That will come to a conclusion
sometime right after Labor Day. I think viewers will be very happy to see Sami being the strong Sami, who is taking things into her own hands. I wish I could tell you the plot points, but I can't! I can say you can expect a lot of surprises and viewers will get what they want.

Apparently Corday gave away way too much information, so TPTB stepped in and edited his words. Way to go Corady, giving away the storyline three months before the ending. What an idiot. As far as wanting Sami and Rafe together, you must be kidding. Nothing could be more boring, plus this new Sami doesn't work for me at all. Just get rid of her and Rafe altogether.
Back to top Go down
Lucy

Lucy

PostSubject: Re: Weigh in on the Ken Coraday Inteview   Weigh in on the Ken Coraday Inteview EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 12:23 pm

what an idiot! a total, jerk-ass, idiot! I always knew he got rid of BD for GG. I knew it! and here's the proof! he is going to make Safe the end game. well you know what? F his jerk-ass! I'm really trying here with my language and all, but ladies, this just pisses me off!

he obviously thought, "who's paycheck can I dump in order to bring in my beloved GG? will it be BD or JS? OH! I think I'll dump BD!" oh yeah. way to go, dumb ass.

and who are all these tons of Safe fans? have you all seen them? I mean, the way he talks, there must be tons, right? yeah, right. and pigs fly.
Back to top Go down
ambrosia

PostSubject: Re: Weigh in on the Ken Coraday Inteview   Weigh in on the Ken Coraday Inteview EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 12:38 pm

What it so pathetic is that GG was a star of a cancelled show. The show was cancelled for a reason - bad writing and bad acting. Most of these actors were models with no acting experience. Just by hiring GG for Days does not make him a better actor; he simply cannot emote.
Back to top Go down
itsjustasoap
Admin
itsjustasoap

PostSubject: Re: Weigh in on the Ken Coraday Inteview   Weigh in on the Ken Coraday Inteview EmptySat Jun 12, 2010 3:35 pm

I say we can get Bryan back. I am helping with a campaign for him and if you all want to help, you are wlcome too. As soon as the banners are made, I will share them here..and the postcards as well.
Back to top Go down
LittleFeat

PostSubject: Re: Weigh in on the Ken Coraday Inteview   Weigh in on the Ken Coraday Inteview EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 8:54 am

All Corday accomplished with this interview was to piss off almost every other fan base. This will bring out the Ejami's in droves. Thanks Corday, you are such a dick. And a douche for thinking "everyone" wants Sami with eyebrow boy.
Back to top Go down
Lucy

Lucy

PostSubject: Re: Weigh in on the Ken Coraday Inteview   Weigh in on the Ken Coraday Inteview EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 11:03 am

mighty brow couldn't act if you put a gun to his head! and he and Sami look as mis-matched as a football bat! puh-leeze. Corday sucks donkey balls.

how do you do a campaigne, Kim? and can you start a petition...one where TPTB will actually see it?

the highly unprofessional behaviour of this dickhead is unbelievable! just uneffingbelievable.
Back to top Go down
itsjustasoap
Admin
itsjustasoap

PostSubject: Re: Weigh in on the Ken Coraday Inteview   Weigh in on the Ken Coraday Inteview EmptyWed Jun 16, 2010 8:36 am

why couldnt they have dumped folks like nathan, melanie and stephanie who are a waste of air space and can put me to sleep faster then an entire jazz esemble...ughhh, wise up kenny, the show has become a borefest, BRing Back Lucas!
Back to top Go down
ambrosia

PostSubject: Re: Weigh in on the Ken Coraday Inteview   Weigh in on the Ken Coraday Inteview EmptyWed Jun 16, 2010 9:12 am

I find it interesting that they brought on another Horton in the form of Nathan, but dumped Lucas. Someone really seems to hate BD.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Weigh in on the Ken Coraday Inteview   Weigh in on the Ken Coraday Inteview Empty

Back to top Go down

Weigh in on the Ken Coraday Inteview
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Ultimate Soap Rant Board  :: Soaps Discussion :: Soaps Discussion-
Jump to: